Saturday, May 22, 2010

Suck It Up


Today was a brutal ride....so much climbing into headwind! Uggggg!!! Today I thought about what I write on my arm before each Ironman race, "suck it" because so many times in racing you need to suck it up and push forward.

Went for a ride with the tri-club, thankfully i was not alone or I might have turned around. We climbed up Big Rock, a huge thank you to the man on the massive Trek, he must have been 6'5" that let me tuck in behind him and suck his wheel for a while. I dropped him on the limb and then he re-passed me on the down-hill. I kept pushing trying to see how long I could go without him passing me......I kept him away for a while and when he passed he said "nice pace"

We re-grouped a few times along the way. I realized that my body cols down and heart-rate sinks like a stone pretty quickly. Makes it harder to get started again, especially in the cold.

At one point in the ride I really just wanted to cry out of frustration with the headwind. NO matter if we turned or not, it was always there, like my worst nightmare. The climbing is not as bad since you can see when the pain will be over, but the wind....sneaky bitch, you just can't see! And then just when you think it will be at your back, the wind changes direction!

I cursed so may times during this ride, but survived and am stronger mentally and physically because of it. I was so hungry during this ride, not having dinner last night was probably not the best idea. Within the last 45minutes when I was mentally losing it, I grabbed my Mint Chocolate Gu......ahhhhh, a little squeeze of heaven and I felt much better. Toward the end of the ride Eric said to me "you really need to be bigger, you are too small to block the wind for me!" Too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment