Sunday, May 16, 2010

Better to follow the heart than the training plan

Today's workout should have been the 4-hour ride that I swapped out yesterday, but my heart and mind were not in it. I needed to zone out a bit, not really conducive to riding on the roads with cars and other distractions, so I hit the trails of China Camp.

Along the way there was a dead lizard on the path, I'm guessing he was hit by a mountain biker. I ran past him and then doubled backed, took a rock and pushed him to the side of the trail. All creatures deserve a bit of dignity in death. I continued to run up to the top of the trail, pushing myself to the top of my own private Everest. I stopped along the way just to take in the beauty of the trail and the way the trees parted to give the most amazing view of the Bay.

I stood there in awe of my luck to have access to such an amazing sight, practically in my backyard. Suddenly, tears were rolling down my face. Sadness for so many who will never take advantage of what is in front of them and those who would give anything for the opportunity to run up a trail, but lack the physical ability to do so. I was reminded of what my grandmother said to me when I moved to California, "Abbala, (Jewish grandmother speak) God took everything beautiful ad gave it to California".

I continued on as my thoughts drifted to my current endeavor...3 Ironman races in one season. A total of 421.8 miles in racing, not to mention the distance I will train to accomplish my goal. I reminded myself that I need to stay focused on my goals and to enjoy the journey along the way. The finish line of each race is not my ultimate destination, it's pushing myself to new limits and overcoming obstacles along the way. Learning more about myself and what my body can accomplish.

Never waste the day or an opportunity to grow. On the way down the trail a deer stood in the way, I stopped and watched her as a huge grin spread across my face....this is what training is about, enjoying what is around me.....nature's therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment